[filmscanners] Scanner problems

While things are quiet I'd like to air a problem with my system.  I have
two scanners, a Polaroid 120 with a Firewire interface.  I have
Polaroid's Polacolor Insight and Silverfast installed.  The other
scanner is an Epson 1640 Photo with a USB interface.  I'm using Epson's
software only with this scanner.  My operating system is Windows 2000
with 1 gig of RAM.

My problem is that the computer is constantly losing the Epson scanner.
When this happens, Epson has instructed me to make sure there is no
reference to the scanner under "Imaging Devices", in Device Manager, and
to uninstall the Epson software.  Then download the latest drivers and
reinstall.  This works for a while and then my computer will no longer
recognize the scanner.  One sure way to make the Epson go away is to use
the Polaroid 120.

Has anyone had this problem?  If so does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Sims