[filmscanners] RE: Good $300 scanner for 35mm & 120?

Actually Art, what you say is only true when talking about new dedicated
medium format film scanners.  There may be athe possibility of a few older
models available in or around that price range as used or refurb units on
Ebay or elsewhere.  Ken should check Ebay as well as some of the larger used
equipment web sites like WWW.keh.com, www.calumetphoto.com,
www.bhphotovideo.com, etc.

filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk wrote:
> Ken McKaba wrote:
>
>> I've just started exploring film scanners.  Can anyone recommend a
>> good one that will handle 35mm & 6x6 that is <$300?
>>
>> Will I be happy with a flatbed with a transparency attachment?
>>

> The question, Ken, is what other choice do you really have witin the
> constraints you suggest.
>
> A 35mm dedicated film scanner for $300 you can do (the Minolta Dimage
> Scan Dual IV would probably be my suggestion at that price) but, it
> can't do 6x6. In fact, anything that can in a dedicated film scanner
> is going to set you back considerably more than $300.
>
> Therefore, the option open to you is a flatbed.  Epson has several
> within your budget and some are quite good.  The biggest issue these
> days is probably Newton Rings from film contacting the glass surface.
> It can be a bit of a problem, but there are ways around it vis well
> constructed film carriers.
>
> Art
>

>> Thanks,
>> Ken