[filmscanners] RE: another Sharpening question

Art,

While I am not refuting you, I wish to elaborate on one detail that you did
not make real clear in your response so that others will not go away with a
misunderstanding.
> A common trick of the trade is to convert the image to LAB, and then
> only sharpen the monochromic image, leaving the color alone.

This might more accurrately be states as "...then only sharpen the L or
Luminescence channel...."

filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk wrote:
> austin@darkroom.com wrote:
>

>> Has anyone tried sharpening the channels individually for a color
>> image? Since I don't do much color, I never thought of that
>> before...but it seems like it might be advantageous, as you wouldn't
>> lose as much detail in the sharper channels...  Any thoughts on this?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Austin
>>

> A common trick of the trade is to convert the image to LAB, and then
> only sharpen the monochromic image, leaving the color alone.  Since
> the human eye responds much more to brightness levels than color (we
> have a lot more rods than cones) that can sometimes be effective is
> reducing color artifacting that USM can create.  It's the same basic
> principal that was used with "s-video" and super 8mm video.  hey
> increased the frequency on the luma signal, pretty much leaving the
> color signal alone since it is much more prone to noise when "pushed".
>
> Art

---