[filmscanners] Re: the histogram in Nikonscan

From: "Jawed Ashraf" <Jawed@cupidity.force9.co.uk>
Which slider to move?  Any!  When I first started scanning I only ever used
to use the Input sliders (black point, gamma and white point).  Then after a
few months I progressed onto using Curves,

Thanks, Jawed, for the advice and links.  I've been scanning for a little while
with reasonable results and am willing to trade some quality for simplicity and
volume. I do not want to attain "perfection" for most scans, and cannot see
myself becoming a dedicated PS user.  That is just too much time spent on a
computer for me!! For most scans I want a quick solution; the very best ones
will be dealt with later after I experiment with PS further.

Back to the output blackpoint slider in Nikonscan Curves... can anyone tell me
exactly when they have used it?  Is this choice as simple as balancing the
advantages of the added light against the drawback of the decreased contrast?  I
would prefer to use this method, where appropriate, rather than the full-blown
PS solutions for high contrast images.  I just want to hear if others use it,
when, and why (or why not).

Ed Verkaik