[filmscanners] RE: Kodak dropping 35mm and APS cameras in N.A.

By EK is not your father's EK anymore.  It stopped several decades ago in
the 1980's really caring about the craft of photography and started focusing
on the bottom line like so many companies.  Those who grew up in the
industry and had a committment to it as well as the survival of the company
were slowly replaced by bean conters who knew and cared little about the
industry and craft.  When you use to call Kodak's professional and lab
technical assistance to ask them questions, you got someone who knew what
they were talking about from actually having some experience and knowledge;
now they all have been replaced by people like those that give technical
support with repsect to software - they know little except what they read
from the same scripts and documents that you can get and read yourself.

filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk wrote:
> Hello!
>
> You know, back when Great Yellow Father was a (virtual) monopoly,
> they were a wonderful company. They actually CARED about their
> professional customers, and made wonderful products like the Electric
> Brush, which I wish I could still find. It makes dust fall off film.
> And they maintained production on amateur film stocks for YEARS after
> significant demand was gone. But then came Fuji and Ilford and Ciba
> and there was serious competition, and anything that wasn't
> immediately profitable had to go. Of course they made some dumb moves
> (those disk camera things were truly gawd-awful), but so did
> companies like Apple Computer <g>. Now that I think of it, except for
> some boutique companies, there's nobody out there like the old EK...
>
> Les

---