From: "Paul D. DeRocco" <pderocco@ix.netcom.com>
To: <mcreem@worldnet.att.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 9:07 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Better DOF than Nikon?

> From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
>
>            Been thinking of your warped slides.
>
>            If you got some slide mounts with glass, but instead
> of mounting
> them normally with the slide film between the two pieces of
> glass, you mount
> them with both the glasses on the "outer" side of the warped film.
>
>           This way the glass would flatten the negative to
> perhaps where the
> DOF of the scanner is sufficient.
>
>           I don't have any of the mounts around to try it.   I do
> not know if
> you would get too many Newton rings etc.     Diffraction?.
>
>           Might be worth a try.

Actually, I did that a couple days ago. I took one of my anti-Newton glass
mounts, and yanked out the glass on the emulsion side. It worked fairly
well, although I have some slides that, as a result of a fire, have such
horrible ripples in them that they won't even lie flat when sandwiched
between two pieces of glass.

Besides, it's such a pain to do that, that I'd gladly buy a different
scanner if it would solve the problem.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco