[filmscanners] RE: NikonScan problem

> From: Bob Frost
>
> According to the Nikon Europe Support FAQ on NikonScan, the LS2000 is not
> compatible with NikonScan versions later than 3.1.2 and only works with
> 3.x.x at all if it has the firmware upgraded to 1.3. It doesn't work with
> the latest version 4. Without the firmware upgrade it only works with
> NikonScan 2.x.x - so it says. There is a big table of versions and OS
> compatibilities with all their scanners.

Thanks for the heads-up, but yes, I have the latest firmware, and I'm using
NikonScan 3.1.2. NS4 doesn't work with it because it doesn't support SCSI.
(Also, you can't download it to try it unless you have a S/N off a supported
device.)

I've managed to coax decent "raw material" Kodachrome scans out of the
scanner by selecting the Scanner RGB color space (which disables
conversion), setting the gamma to about 2 in the Curves box, and then
setting analog gain to R=1.5, G=0.5, B=0. I'm still mystified why I never
had this problem before, but at least I'm up and running. I've also ordered
a Kodachrome IT8 target slide, so as soon as that arrives, I'm going to try
profiling the scanner with those analog gain settings.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco