[filmscanners] Re: What makes this grainy artifact?

At 10:00 PM -0600 12/21/03, Some Bozo wrote:
>I don't have ICE but I was able to clean much of it up with Polaroid's
>DustScratch Remover.
>
>I guess it must be a processing problem. I've had nice results with Provia
>100F in the past.

        I expect that you (and David and Art) are correct in thinking
it is a processing problem.

        For historical interest (as the author of a follow-up
Luminous Landscape article on "pepper grain"), I can assure you
that's not what you are seeing here. Pepper grain is apparently
caused by microscopic film bubbles in the film base, which are
registered as tiny black specks by many scanners.

Regards,
Roger Smith