[filmscanners] Re: Scanner Software Workflow Integration

HMSDOC@aol.com wrote on Sun 7 Dec 2003 at 13:58 -0500

>if one uses IT8 calibration with Silverfast,

You appear to want your preview and final scan colour etc to match. If
you use Silverfast with IT8 this will happen. I've seen close results
with Polaroid's software and Vuescan but never are perfect as SilverFast.

Set up correctly your SF scan will be 90% perfect. Sometimes an 'auto'
correction takes you to scan 100%, mostly I use the levels and curves to
tweek the final look I want from the software. You then end up with a
Photoshop image which is difficult to find fault with.

In other-words, use SF and its IT8 calibration. Then learn how to control
SF. Its not that much different from Photoshop - you set levels, curves,
black and white points - just that the user interface is pants and
counter intuitive. I recommend you print the manual.

I also recommend reading the SF tutorials on Ian Lyons's Computer
Darkroom site <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/>. There's a load of info
for SF at <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/sf5_contents.htm>.

Scanning is hard work to learn.

--