[filmscanners] RE: Pixels and Prints

> From: Austin Franklin
>
> Lower noise?  What you are calling lower noise is dubious.  "Perceived"
> lower noise does not mean higher fidelity.  How do you know it's lower
> noise?  Have you actually done a comparison of it to the original image
> scene to see what was noise and what was not?  The Bayer pattern
> reconciliation introduces substantial noise, it has to by nature.  Also,
> lack of detail make it appear as less noise.  Again, cartoons
> appear to have
> very little noise, and they have no detail.

I may regret getting involved in this discussion, but it's hard to let this
pass. In real life, you don't have to compare a digital image to the
original scene to know what's noise and what isn't. Blue sky is about as
noiseless a source as you can find, so any noise you see is in the capture
process.

Also, a Bayer pattern interpolator doesn't introduce noise, unless it's
processing an image that already looks like noise, and it can't find
anything coherent to do edge detection on. But in that case, who cares?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco