[filmscanners] Re: Pixels and Prints

I'm guessing here, based upon what seems logical to me.  I'm sure Austin
knows a lot more about this stuff than I.

Here's my best guess: I assume the sensor element responds as a unique
unit, at the moment it gathers the light information, so I also assume
it responds in some manner by generating a voltage level based upon the
total amount of photons falling on it's overall surface area.

I believe CCDs also have an overflow device to "drain" off excessive
light exposure, so it doesn't jump or discharge to other adjacent sensor
elements.

I don't know what type of "curves" the sensors have, in terms of if they
are relatively linear or not, but it would seem to make sense (at least
to me) to have the CCD respond to all the photons hitting the sensor
surface area (until overload), which might be "total sum of" rather than
an average, however, I would think that would have the same basic result.

Art