[filmscanners] Re: Minolta 5400 scan Elite Tests

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Frost" <bob@frost.name>

Thanks Bob

>In my few tests with it, I've found that manual focussing 'on-screen'
rather
>than using the knob on the front of the scanner seemed to give me much
>better results.

Does that mean several preview scans while changing focusing in between or
is there another way?
I have, so far, found at least one slide which the 5400 simply could not
find focus on. I set it to manual focus after setting focus on the previous
slide. I hope there won't be too many of them.

>And saving the files as tiffs with lossless LZW compression reduces them to
>about a third.

I have found that when I save a 16 bit file as a tiff (using PS6) with LZW
compression on, the file size does not reduce by much. It only changes from
about 260Mb to about 240Mb. When I change the file to an 8 bit poer colour
image and save it then as Tif with LZW on, it is much smaller (40-50Mb) I
don't think LZW compression works on 16 bit files?

         Thys van der Merwe
Portfolio of African Images:
http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/teknovis
Cell: (+27) 83-441-3108