[filmscanners] Re: Minolta 5400 scan Elite Tests

sirius wrote:
>>- Image quality - sharpness: The Canon was definitely sharper and more
>>snappy on the same image. This could be (and I suspect it is) the
>>effect of
>>Digital Ice vs Canon Fare. I intend to do another test with Ice off
>>(unfortunately I scanned all my Canon samples with Fare on) The
>>difference
>>was very obvious and before sharpening, the Minolta scans looked
>>pretty bad
>>compared to the Canon's.
>

> Is this the experience of other people too?
>
> i am planning to buy this scanner. but sharpness is crucial.

Not for me, but I am a pure amateur and have only had this scanner
for a few weeks.  It was an upgrade for the Nikon Coolscan III (ls30)
and to me it seems far superior (in all aspects, contrast
included).  I have no Canon scanner to compare with, so I have no
idea how it works compared to that.  I also find that there is
less reason to use ICE with this scanner than the LS30.

Haakon