[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest forTue 14 Oct, 2003

I would suggest a different tact.

The Epson 3200 probably will not help improve your postcard scans, since
they simply don't have more than about 200 dpi resolution themselves, so
you can be sure a 800 or 1600 dpi scanner has picked up whatever they
can offer.  Also, reflective work is much easier to scan than
transparent, especially dense items like slides.

The problem with almost all flatbed scanners is they are not really
designed to scan transmissive work properly, even if they have both the
resolution and proper illumination.  For one thing, most scan through
glass, and that doesn't work well with transmissive scanning.  There is
internal reflection, any dirt or defect in/on the glass, etc. gets
picked up.

Most dedicated film scanners scan at a more "realistic" 2400-4000 dpi or
beyond than the quoted resolution from flatbed scanners.  Film scanner
only have to correctly scan a very small area, do so more slowly and
precisely, and typically have better optics, better controlled light
source, better designed film carriers, more accurate transports and
better software for transmissive work.

Unless you plan of selling the Epson 1600 and using the money toward
your 3200, if you want better results with your slides (and I am
assuming they are 35mm) I would strongly recommend you keep the Epson
1600 for your reflective work, and buy a dedicated slide scanner for
your slides and negs.

In today's market, the best value in scanners is probably the Minolta
Dual Scan Dimage III, in a new scanner.  It sells for $260-300 US, with
2820 dpi resolution, USB 2.0 interface, and reasonable software.  It
will provide you with superior images to anything the 3200 can provide
for a 35 mm slide.

There are quite a few reviews of this scanner to be found on the web.  I
suggest doing a Google search for opinions of users.  It isn't perfect,
but it probably is the best value today.

Art