[filmscanners] Re: Bored and Listless? (was RE: tantrums)

From: <focus@adnc.com>

I found the 8 vs. 16 interesting and educational. Usually you can tell in
the first three
lines whether anyone has any actual information or not. Unlike most other
forums, here even
the arrogant flamers usually have some valid information to add. And there
IS new ground to
cover--recent new hardware like the Minolta 5400 and Epson 3200 give us a
shot at a level
of quality previously beyond most of our budgets, so there may well be new
issues to
discuss.

I'll second this.

It's clear that any adjustment to 8-bit data _must_ introduce quantization
errors, and we haven't dealt with that as such yet. Inversely, my scans on
my "14-bit" scanner are a noisy mess, even slide film, so I'm willing to
listen to arguments that 8-bits is more than enough (and that scanner Dmax
claims are completely and totally insane<g>).

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan