From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Bob Frost
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2003 3:55 AM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Hi bit discussion

Andreas,

Because Photoshop has limited options that work with 16-bit images. For
example, you can't use layers in 16bit; you can't make selections directly
(although you can convert the file to 8bit, make a selection, save it, and
then load it into the 16bit original!); many filters don't work; dodge and
burn don't work; etc; etc.

There are ways round many of the problems, as indicated for selections, and
using the history brush allows a lot to be done.

Adobe say that making PS fully 16bit would require a massive amount of
rewriting that they don't have the staff for. So they add one or two 16bit
extras with each release. They will only do more if people demand it, and
not many do at present.

Bob Frost.