[filmscanners] Re:Nikon Coolscan LS-2000: focus issues & viewscan

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re:Nikon Coolscan LS-2000: focus issues & viewscan
  • From: "Rob Geraghty" <robg@wordweb.com>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:21:47 +1000

Ellis Vener <ellis@ellisvener.com> wrote:
> I am trying to help some friends out. Is it possible to
> physically adject the focus mechanism on an
> Coolscan 2000? they were given one but the focus
> is way off.

Is the focus accurate using Nikonscan?  Are the images silver based B&W
film?  If you try to use the IR scratch removal feature on silver based B&W
film you may end up with a result that looks horribly out of focus.  The IR
feature cannot be used with silver based film, and may be problematic with
Kodachrome.  It should work fine with Ektachrome transparencies or dye based
neg films.

If the focus is also faulty with Nikonscan, there's likely to be a fault
with the hardware.

Another possibility is that you are expecting sharpness from the scanner
which it's not capable of delivering.  But it's hard to know without seeing
what you're talking about.

Rob