[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest forThu 18 Sep, 2003

I always have to laugh when these kind of postings show up.  Not because
they are or are not valid, but because their intent is so disingenuous.

Tony has a private email account, which anyone has access to if they
wish to write Tony a personal comment about their view of the list.  In
fact, I imagine it is a lot more effective to do so, since I don't even
know if Tony has had the time of late to be actually monitoring every
email going by.

This type of public posting is the sour grapes kind.  If the person has
a gripe with the list members, the honest thing would be to address the
list members.  If he has a gripe with certain list members then he could
do that as well, preferably in private mail.

But what this posting is really about is to play elitist games (I could
say something about Morgans as cars, and their owners, but I'll
refrain).  A "Dear Tony" letter translates to "I'm writing the moderator
and owner of this list to express my dissatisfaction with it and I want
to make sure everyone else reads it and feels guilty".

The truth is that there has not been a lot of activity in the film
scanner market, and the market is probably saturated.  Anyone who wants
one has probably bought it, and now people are moving to digital
cameras.  Prices on film scanners have dropped, and very little new
innovation has developed to cause any real excitement in the industry.
Film scanners have become another commodity that certain people need.
The software has matured to a great extent, and people have learned to
pretty much make them do what they are needed to.  As a result, the
minutia of the workflow gets discussed in an echolike fashion.

In looking through my admittedly incomplete archives, and as memory
serves, I do not recall the poster ever posting a public message before.
  I don't know how long he has been on the list, but he certainly hasn't
been an active participant in a long time, if ever.

Whenever lurkers come out of the woodwork to complain about the content,
or atmosphere of a list, I have only to say, why don't you participate
and change the direction or content of the list?

I may very much agree with the poster, or I may indeed be one of the
people he is complaining about, but that really isn't the issue. This
list is pretty much democratic.  Tony rarely intervenes, and like any
other democracy, it works when people participate.  Complaining and
walking home is only a valid method of protest after you have tried to
make change by participation and still failed.

Art