[filmscanners] Re: Why DSLR ouput looks sharper?

on 9/12/03 5:00 PM, Paul D. DeRocco at pderocco@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> [...]

Sigma sent me their demo disk.  I printed an image of a flower taken with
the Sigma Fovion.  At 8x12, it looks terrific.  Of course, there are no
straight lines in it.

At 12.5 x 18.5", it is still quite nice, though it is less sharp.  Of
course, printing 12x18 from a 35mm neg is going to show some significant
loss of sharpness too.  One reviewer of the Sigma thought there might be
some clipping of highlights going on, if I understood him correctly.  Forgot
where that review was.

I notice that there have been no comments at all on the new Olympus E-1
DSLR.  I guess it is too early for folks to have any experience with it.
They have an interesting take on digital, that the light hitting the chip
should be coming in perpendicularly, and not obliquely:  film grain is fine
with oblique light, but chips are not, they say.  So they built the camera
"from the ground up" as they said, optimized for digital and not trying to
use 35mm lenses.  Anyone bought it yet?

Berry