From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
To: <alan@aeckertphoto.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 10:30 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: 8 bit versus 16

Hi Art,

> ...and that's even concluding that the scanner is really
> capturing the full 16 bit depth, which many do not.

I'm not sure ANY do.  Do you know of a scanner that really has a usable 16
bits of data for each color?  I know a few (and only a very few from what
I've seen) *claim* 16 bits, but that doesn't mean that they actually can
deliver 16 bits.  If they could, their dMax would be 4.8, and I've not heard
that claim.  I believe the best I've seen is 14 bits, or a dMax of 4.2...but
even at that, I'm skeptical that they actually meet that.

Even if they were capable of that, that doesn't mean the bits are always
used, especially for negative film.  Color negative film, say, with a
density range of 3.0, would only be able to use 10 bits our of what ever
range is available, anyway.

Regards,

Austin