[filmscanners] Re: 8 bit versus 16

Hi Laurie,

This isn't about minutia, this is about belief systems and religion ;-)

The only real solution to deal with the zealotry would be a carefully
controlled double blind experiment.  Otherwise, we are indeed the blind
leading the blind, because simply, we shall see what we expect to see.

I am willing at accept that just like people's ability to hear musical
tones (AKA being "tone deaf" or not) some people are gifted with greater
color perception, and abilities to distinguish between them.  I happen
to have quite good color perception and color memory (i wish my event
memory was as good!), however, I "believe" tests would tend to show that
the vast majority within the bell curve cannot see the difference. I do
believe there is a small advantage to 16  bit files due to data getting
fractionated and pushed around slightly (although there really isn't a
very large step for it to go in either direction). But, if a great deal
of multiple manipulation is going to be accomplished a color could get
pushed a fraction of a 1/256th step in error. However, in terms of
printing, viewing on screen, etc, I think 16 bit files are of little to
no value, and that's even concluding that the scanner is really
capturing the full 16 bit depth, which many do not.

Regarding the matter of banding in 3D rendering, the as was mentioned by
another poster, that problem is due to use of unnatural restricted
pallets, and limited or no use of dithering, because random dithering in
a moving 3d object shows up as moving noise and it slows the rendering
process down, also.

Art