[filmscanners] RE: additional remarks about 8bit / hi bit

>LAURIE SOLOMON asked if my digital prints apparently look better "because
of
>their scanning in 8-bit versus 16-bit and not because of some other
>factor...?" In addition to the hi bit factor, I make serious efforts in
>color balance, defect removal, perspective correction, and anything else i
>can figure out how to do.

Alas, without trying to belabor this, you avoided my question.  You claim
with the implicit if not explicit implication that your pproduct is better
than the others because of the 16-bit rather than 8-bit scans, regardless of
what other corrections, adjustments, etc. you engage in.  I did not ask what
other techniques you used to produce your output; I explicitly asked what
evidence you had that the bit depth difference between your scans and those
of the others actually made a difference or entered into the equation in
determining why your output is better than theirs.  It could be that the
difference would have taken place given all your other effort even if you
had scanned in 8-bit.

> I know that the next generation of
>Epsons will be 16 bit, the next version of photoshop will be 16 bit

And how pray tell do you know this with any sort of certainty?  Are you
privy to information that the general public is not?

I do thank you for your source referrals, however.