[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Sat 30 Aug, 2003

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Sat 30 Aug, 2003
  • From: "malcolm" <Yokochanie@btinternet.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:05:21 +0100

Some things I would like to say about CDR

Normal CDs are pressed and therefore will not lose data.

CDR's are burned. There is a dye that the laser burns into. Currently most
CDR';s have a life of about 10 years after which the dye will begin to break
down.

If backing up any data onto CDR's then I suggest you do two copies. No one
is saying that after 10 years the data will have gone. But after 10 years
the data may start to go. It's like reel to reel tapes. Some of mine are
over 20 years old. They played ok 2 years ago, but now they sound tinny, and
looking at them you can see through parts where the particles have shed. It
happened very quickly.

Having two copies gives you a much better chance.

I understand though don't know if this is true that the dye used in DVD's
should last for 75 years.

My policy will now be to back up on to CDR and to DVD.

A scanner question

I scan old Japanese postcards at 600 dpi with scans at 20 mbs.
Am I using the best dpi for the scans,...most are black and white so have
great detail. Or should I be scanner higher or lower?

Many thanks
Malcolm