[filmscanners] Re: Glass carrier and 35mm negs

"Paul Kohl" <pkohl@gol.com> writes:

Does anyone know if the glass carrier for the Nikon Coolscan 8000 can
be used for 35mm negatives? Are there any special techniques I need
to know about before I order one?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

You might have troubles with Nikon Scan, since Nikon Scan automagically
crops your frames, and it would probably get quite confused, but with
Vuescan you shouldn't have any troubles, since you can crop manually. But
you may need to cut your own masks. (See below).

The carrier comes with a set of masks, but they only mask one frame, so I
cut my own from thin transparent plastic so I can scan 3 or 4 645 frames
without reinserting the carrier for each frame. The mask holds the film away
from the lower glass. With the film directly on the lower (non-anti-Newton)
glass, the roughness of the emulsion prevents Newton's rings for some
images, but large smooth areas (like sky) are a problem.

Incidentally, I have been very unhappy with my 8000 primarily because
of its unrelenting habit of clipping highlights.
<<<<<<<<<<<<

I do slides, and haven't had any probles, but for the few rolls of XP-2, I
did have to adjust the exposure manually.

I recently switched
to Vuescans and feel reborn. Those beautiful, flat scans with detail
everywhere!

I find Nikon Scan enough more convenient that I don't use Vuescan, but I
suppose that if I figured out how to set the preview frames correctly, it
wouldn't be too bad<g>.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan