[filmscanners] Re: Bad News on CD longevity

On 27 Aug 2003 at 12:49, nick.grasso@hrads.com wrote:

> Mitsui is the best one I know of. They claim 75 years longevity. See:
> http://www.mitsuicdr.com/products/dvd/index.html

With all due respect, do you expect to be here in 75 years?  I doubt
that Mitsui or the CD-R (as a product) will be here.  I do not take
these extrapolations seriously.  It would be nice to know, what a
reasonable life expectancy of a CD-R is.

In 10 years, there's a good chance we will not be using CD-R's, but a
more dense format.  At that time I will copy my important data to the
new format, whatever it is.

To me the important question is, will the present format last long
enough to overlap the next.

Regards,

Rich