[filmscanners] Re: Colour management on Negatives

>I always got very much better results with Vuescan.  It has just been
updated
>to support the Elite 5400 and it does have some film profiles (and its free
>try).  I couldn't spot Superia 200 in the list but I would expect one of
the listed
>Fuji profiles to do the job.

Just tryed the latest version and the black telephone wire clipped to the
wall is
still purple. I made a site visit today at the same time the photo was shot
to try
and get an idea of colours.

As you said there was no entry for Superia in Vuescan.

>If you do try Vuescan, given that support for your scanner is very recent
(and
>possibly not bug free yet), you still have the option of scanning the
negative in
>as a positive in the Minolta software and saving that as a 16 bit linear
file.  (I'm
>assuming here that the software doesn't detect which film holder you are
using
>and stops you selecting positive when using negative film.)  Vuescan should
>happily process the file.  This approach also leaves you with the option to
use
>ICE or the new Grain Dissolver, should you need them, when producing the
>file.

Neither the Minolta or Vuescan software stop you from chooseing negative or
positive film no matter which holder is used. I have scanned the negative as
positive and used Ian Lyons technique from ww.digital-darkroom.com to
convert the image in Photoshop.

It was not the answer to a Maidens prayer!!!!

>I don't scan much negative film (I mainly use slides) and my very good
>experiences of Vuescan were from an older version which had only built in
>profiles for each supported scanner.  It may be that, for practical
purposes,
>this is all you need if there is a suitable negative film type in the
Vuescan
>lookup tables.

>Having said that, now that IT8 calibration is supported in Vuescan,

If only you could get an IT8 for negative film!!

Eddie