[filmscanners] RE: 3 Newbie questions

> From: Maaki
>
> It appears the problem is that there are NO embedded profiles in
> the files.
>
> I tried setting the RGB preferences to "Adobe RGB (1998)". But now
> whenever I try to open a .psd  or .tif  file that was scanned and
> color corrected by the graphic designer, (specifically for this
> project), I get a Missing Profile alert.
>
> For example, one alert said:
>
>           The CMYK document does not have an embedded color profile.
>           How do you want to proceed?
>                  -Leave it as is (don't color manage)
>                  -Assign working CMYK/ (U.S. Web Coated (SWOP)v2
>                  -Assign profile. (with a number of choices listed)
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if the graphic designer I had hired for the
> past 5 months was a wee bit over her head also. All her files are
> CMYK TIFs.  I had thought everything was okay until after she left,
> when I opened the files she prepared, on another Macintosh, and
> discovered a significant color shift. I'm discovering now there is a
> lot more involved, (including perhaps some errors in procedures),
> than I had initially imagined  when I asked my first question about
> the apparent different behaviour of two calibrated Trinitron monitors.
>
> I'm wondering now if I should just give up and start over with
> another graphic designer. I know how to use Microsoft Excel, but this
> stuff is way beyond my level of expertise.

I think you're right about the graphic designer--she didn't understand color
management.

Fortunately, you're only trying to make pretty pictures, not provide
scientific evidence of the precise color of something. I suggest that you
just bring the images into Photoshop, assign _some_ profile, whatever seems
to work best, and then readjust the colors yourself until you like the way
they look. If the print house can accept RGB files, I'd convert to some RGB
color space like sRGB or Adobe RGB as soon as you load the image, and do the
tweaking in that domain.

If you do this, you'll at least be supplying an image file that is in some
known color space, and should therefore look the same on someone else's
machine, as long as your display and their display are both reasonably well
calibrated.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco