[filmscanners] RE: 3 Newbie questions

Paul,
>I don't see how one can reasonably be expected to produce CMYK images
>without specific profiles for the printer in question.

I agree with some of what you have said- especially the above, although I
think you have assumed a somewhat harsh position as to what a print house
should have and use and what it shouldn't.  If by China, it is meant
mainland China; it is entirely possible that they do not have the latest and
greatest software or hardware available.  The same can be said for small
publishing houses or presses who may do quality work using less than the
latest and greatest software or equipment.

It is also possible that they require images in CYMK color space and as EPS
files which will be placed within a page layout that is then sent to the
press where plates will be made by the printers in accordance with their
requirments in order to keep their costs down; whereas the submission of RGB
TIFF, PSD, or some other file format files would require additional work and
costs on their end which would make the publication budget unprofitable.

> And it shouldn't matter what specific color space (sRGB, Adobe RGB, etc.)
you
>choose, because any modern image processing software will obey the profile.

While image processing software may be able to obey a profile for any color
space, it does not mean that all the colors in that profiled color space
will be in gamut or coverted properly when translated to CYMK process inks
so as to reproduce exactly as it appeared on the monitor at either your end
or their end even if all the monitors are calibrated.

Having said that, I would suggest that Maaki contact the author and have the
author get in touch with the publisher or the press and find out what they
will or will not accept, what they can work with in a pinch, if they have
the capability to scan and color correct the slides at their end, and if
they can furnish information as to what CYMK press standard they use for
their presses given the inks and papers that will be used.