[filmscanners] 3 Newbie questions

I recently bought my first scanner, an Epson Perfection 3200 flat bed
scanner and I hired a graphic designer to scan transparencies, slides
and prints of my sculpture and then prepare the resulting images for
print publications. She's gone now, and I have some more to do. I am
a total beginner in scanning/Photoshop, so please forgive me for
coming in with these very basic questions.

     (1)  If I have both a 35mm slide and a 4" x 6" print from that
slide,  which would be the best choice to use to scan on this
one-model-fits-all scanner, (assuming the print was printed in good
focus)?

    (2)  Can anyone explain why the Photoshop color corrected scans of
transparencies made by the graphic designer, appear significantly
shifted  towards magenta when moved from a Power Macintosh 9500/G3 +
AppleVision 1710 AV monitor to my Power Macintosh 8500/G3 + Sony
17sfII monitor?

Both monitors were calibrated just before all the work began. The
AppleVision was calibrated with the AppleVision calibration software
with the help of the "Ambient Light Tool" that came with the monitor,
(a grey disk with a hole in it for matching screen color). The Sony
was calibrated using SuperCal 1.1.3. Both Macs are running Mac OS
9.1, and Photoshop 6.0.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that the images will have
reasonably  accurate color and density when received by the company
that will be publishing them? (that is, without spending a bundle on
more equipment)?

    (3)  The graphic designer I hired for this job, was of the opinion
that a resolution of 300 pixels/inch was perfectly adequate. But 4
years ago, another graphic designer at a printing company wanted
everything scanned at 400 pixels/inch for a catalog of my work that
they were printing. Is there any disadvantage to  scanning at the
higher resolution, (other than file size)?

Any advice you folks can give me will be much appreciated.

Maaki