[filmscanners] Re: OT: any good shops in Osaka?

"bryce hashizume" <bwv812@hotmail.com> asks:

I know this is a little off topic, but I`ve noticed that we seem to have
some members from Japan so I thought I might as well ask. Does anyone know a
good USED camera store in Osaka? I`m mainly looking for some place that will
have TLR`s, MF, and hopefully some Leica R equipment. Failing Osaka, anthing
in the Kansai region is really ok, too.
<<<<<<<<<<<<

That's not my turf, but a quick check with St. Google turned up this neat
page with two maps. If you don't read Japanese, print the maps out and
compare them to some English maps. The main page has the addresses, phone
numbers, and what days they're closed, so even if you don't read Japanese,
you could print it out and accost passers by. (Some of these places are
apparently hard to find, and the maps aren't all that helpful.)

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~hw6k-asi/work14osaka.html

This lists 9 shops in the "Osaka Kita" (Osaka: north) area:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~hw6k-asi/x14-osaka-k.gif
(These shops are in the JR Osaka and Umeda station area. Number (3)
advertises in the main magazines, number (2) specializes in classic cameras,
number (6) has a lot of stuff but is pricey, number (7) has 3000 used
cameras in stock.)

And 13 shops in the "Osaka Minami" (Osaka: south) area:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~hw6k-asi/x14-osaka-m.gif
(The guy who wrote this page is fond of this part of town. Number (1) is
recommended and has lots of stuff at good prices, number (2) is a large
format specialty store with interesting LF lenses and is worth checking out
for the fun of it, number (3) is next door to (2) and has some used stuff.
Number (4) has Leica, Contax, and Rollei, number (7) is a monster store with
used stuff on the 5th floor, number (8) specializes in Leica, number (10)
has a great selection of new and used stuff, including Leica and Hassy,
number 11 is small but has some rare/hard-to-find stuff, number 13 has a
good selection.

That should keep you busy for a couple of days<g>.

Here's a table that rates used camera stores:
http://www.shozo.jp/image/camera/top/osaka_page.html

The four numbers are: Selection, price, service, and overall. Numbers (1)
and (3) on the NORTH map above and number (1) on the South map rate best for
selection.

(Also good for selection are Hamamura Camera and Sanwa Shokai, but they're
not on the maps.)

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan