[filmscanners] RE: Photoshop freezing

While the additional information is helpful, I am not sure that it provides
insight into why Photoashop is crashing.  If it pertains to particulars
unique to  the Mac platform, I am not the one to help you.  However, from
your additional descriptions below, I think you have your Photoshop virtual
memory (e.g., scratch disks set upfine and they should have enough free
unfragmented contiguous space as not to present a problem - especially with
respect to the freezing situation.  If you wanted to make sure that the OS
in its operation does not create fragmentation on the hard drive that will
impact on Photoshop, you could make your external 120 GB Firewire drive the
primary photoshop scratch disk with the other drive as secondary; but this
is not essential and has little or no bearing on your current problem.  I
would recomend that you turn on the Mac OS virtual memory and leave it on,
however, since I do not think that even on the Mac they would be in
conflict.  The OS vitural memory scheme may be needed to help the Os
function efficiently and for the operational program files under which
Photoshop establishes its interfaces and runs its operations in relationship
to scanners and printers to function well.  This could be the source of the
freezing; try turning on the OS virtual memory qand see if it helps.  You
got nothing to lose.

As for your point #2, I would have to question the competance of the graphic
designer at using the computer and possibly Photoshop.  It would also make
me ask questions as to what else they may be doing which might possible
cause the computer to lock up.  If you have checked and eliminated the
cabling and termination factors with respect to the SCSI drives, then that
is not the problem; but I would recheck to make sure that I have all my
terminations set up correctly and that the SCSI ID# for each of the SCSI
devices are differetn and not the same as the first or last ID # on a chain.
It appears that you have eliminated unflattened files as a cause.

There are a few bits of information that you have not given which may be
helpful.  First, how does your scanner connect to the computer (e.g., SCSI,
USB, Firewire, etc.)?  What scanner software are you using and does the
scanner software fujnction as a stand alone which creates separate files
that then have to be imported into Photoshop as opposed to automatically
opening in Photoshop? Is this an independent or networked computer?  When
the freezing takes place is it only the Photoshop application that freezes
or is it the whole computer including the OS which freezes so as to require
a warm or cold reboot?  Have you installed any and all the latest patches
for Photoshop?