[filmscanners] RE: scanner dmax discussion

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: scanner dmax discussion
  • From: "" <austin@darkroom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 06:41:22 -0400

Chuck,

> > There are LUTs (Look-Up Tables) in the scanner that compensate for the
> > non-linearities that are determined during calibration.  These are
simply
> > offset values that are added/subtracted from the actual data values.

> That is likely,

Likely?  It's what scanners go through a calibration sequence for!

> but the table values would be offsets and not mathematical
> non-linearities per se.

They absolutely are to correct for non-linearities, and addition (which is
what an offset is) IS how you correct for non-linearity in a system like
this.

> > Basically, they simply count photons, and the output is directly
> > proportional to the number of photons counted.

> These do not count photons except in the gross aggregate where the actual
> count is unknowable.

They DO in fact "count" photons.  The voltage output is DIRECTLY LINEARLY
proportional to the number of photons that the sensor detects.  Go read a
CCD spec and you'll see this to be true.

> > >  Nearly all non-linearities and most noise effects are introduced
> > > after the detectors and are minimal effects.
>
> > Hum.  I disagree with that.  You aren't taking into account
> > non-linearities across sensor elements.

> That is not a mathematical non-linearity at all: it's only a linear
offset.

The statement I commented on is incorrect, for the reason I said.  The
sensor non-linearities ARE a mathematical non-linearity, addition is
mathemeatical, and yes it is simply an offset, which is addition, and
addition is mathematical.  I'm not sure what the distinction/point you are
trying to make here is.

Regards,

Austin