[filmscanners] RE: scanner dmax discussion

au contraire:  the Shannon waveform sampling theorem would be that
criterion, and that says the steps must be smaller by a factor of about 3 or
more.  An 11 bit A/D exceeds that for the signal characteristics of films.
The case of sampling the ccd (vs a staring array of detectors) is a bit
simpler because the ccd itself is a sample-and-hold front end system.  An
A/D past 10 bits in a scanner is primarily for spec gamemanship alone: film
info isn't quite that good.  The A/D is scaled to keep the min to max signal
range between just a few bits and below full house, as was said before (by
you?).  The size of the lsb is just not relevant nor is it significant (as
for frame-to-frame waveform analysis/synthesis) in these scanner systems.

> > Is/was there a point to this technical thread I stumbled into?
>
> Possibly, but I don't remember what it was.
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin

Clearly, we've lost aim and relevance for this techie minutia.

Regards,

Chuck