[filmscanners] Re: scanner dmax discussion

I'm not sure the below is accurate. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what was
written, in which case I'm probably in 'violent agreement' with what was
written.

Consider the values coming out of the analogue detector to be incremental
numbers:
1,2,3,4,5,6....dMAX(detector)

This actually works fairly well since the detector is essentially generating
voltage proportional to light intensity detected.

So in the above example, lets say dMAX is 16.
If I map it with 4 bits, I can generate a bit value/ incremental value
returned. (4 bits can represent 16 numbers).

If I map it with 8 bits, I can represent 1/2 step increments

If I map it with 3 bits (8 possible values) I can either
    a) aggregate each step to represent 2 incremental values - no effect on
dMAX
    b) retain the same level of tonal resolution, but toss out either the
high or low end of the scale, thereby reducing the effective dynamic range
and dMax covered.

So doubling the bit count may or may not increase the dMAX being
represented.