[filmscanners] RE: SS4000 "blown out" yellows and no blue information; where is my problem?

> From: snsok@cox.net
>
> I posted this problem a while back but don't think I illustrated it well
> enough. I am consistently getting yellows with no detail on my wildflower
> shots. I thought it had to do with shooting bright yellows in sunlight
> but it's occurring in photos made in partial shade as well.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> www.tallgrassimages.com/test/yellowclipping.htm
>
> This is not the sharpest of photographs but I believe Ican see
> more detail
> in the flowers using the 20X loupe on the transparency. This is not a
> monitor gamut problem as the flowers print on my Epson 2200 just as they
> look--no detail.
>
> The RGB color values within the yellow flower show a consistent blue value
> of 2 throughout the flower; I presume that's why I see the spike
> in the blue
> histogram. Indeed, when looking at the blue channel, the flowers are just
> black.
>
> As the weak color provides the contrast and detail, I presume
> also that the
> problem here is that the blues in the flowers are either not registering
> well on the film, or not being captured in the scan, or out-of-gamut, or I
> am not handling the image properly in Photoshop. Is this an engine or an
> engineer problem?

You apparently didn't notice that the red channel is nailed at 255 in the
blown out area. That's more likely the problem. I suggest backing off on the
exposure in the scanner, and then using Curves rather than Levels to get the
brightness back.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco