[filmscanners] Re: Digi, film and scanning in movies

Well, I have been saying this for years, although I think the G3 and its
predecessors are some of the best non-SLR digital cameras on the market,
they have their shortcomings.  One thing to remember is that the actual
resolution of the chip in terms of the color, is considerably less than
the the stated 4 MP.  Every color digicam except the Sigma uses Bayer
interpolation pattern, as I am sure you know.   That means the color is
interpolated in literally every pixel, for two color elements based upon
its closest neighbor.  There are 25% R and B and 50% G color separating
CCD sensors in the chip.  So, although the luminosity is relatively
accurate for the image, the color information is still a lot of guesswork.

I am a great supporter of the Foveon technology, although for some
reason, and I believe it to be internal industrial politics, it has not
caught on.  Take a look at reviews and comparisons of the Foveon chip to
standard equivalent CCDs using the Bayer interpolation grid.  The Foveon
wasn't perfectly implemented by Sigma, but keep in mind it was their
very first digital camera, also.  I suspect no other digicam company was
willing to "offend" Sony or Kodak who supply the vast majority of the
CCD chips for digital cameras.  I really "wonder out loud" if the
digicam companies weren't warned that if they used the Foveon that might
have some supply problems with the normal channels they use.  Otherwise
I really can understand the unwillingness of other companies to use the
chip, which supplies superior results in most areas.

Anyway, I think digital cameras are here to stay, are great to learn on
due to the immediate feedback, save a lot on film and chemistry (and
environmentally), are perfect for snapshot takers who rarely, if ever go
beyond 5x7" prints, are fast for web and other digital applications, and
do some really amazing things with night and low light photography where
film tends to go massively grainy or just won't record well due to
reciprocity failures.  I'd love to see the Foveon chip get more
"exposure(s)" ;-) and for people to have a choice of cameras using that
technology, so we could see what it really can do.

Art