[filmscanners] RE: Digi, film and scanning in movies

> Well, sure. The G3 is a consumer digicam, with a typically
> noisy CCD. Get a 10D, and you'll be able to make staggeringly
> good prints. Indeed, in low light, it probably does better
> than any 35mm film camera. I'm sure the 1Ds is even better,
> if you can afford eight grand.

My son has the precursor to the 10D (I forget its designation) and I am
astonished by how much better his images are than what I'm getting from
the G3. I don't know who is writing these glowing reviews of the G3, but
I guess my expections are from apples and the reviewers are comparing
oranges.

> That said, there are things you can do to improve the results
> with the G3, including software denoising, and careful
> adjustment in Photoshop. It takes a bunch of work, but not
> nearly as much as dodging and burning with an enlarger, and
> stirring pans of chemicals in the dark. Of course, three
> megapixels is three megapixels, but sharpness isn't the only
> criterion of a good picture.
>
> --
>
> Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
> Paul                mailto:pderocco@ix.netcom.com

I spent a lot of time in Photoshop getting it to look (superficially)
like the film scan. Before printing it, I interpolated up to the
resolution of the film scan, then sharpened with the same parameters as
I did with the film scan. Anyhow, it's a 4 megapixel camera. The G3
print was plenty sharp, in fact it was too sharp. It looked harsh by
comparison but the uneducated eye liked it better than the film scan! Go
figure. Apparently the film scan could "stand" a lot more sharpening
than the digital image.

Anyhow, as I said, the G3 produces wonderful images for the WEB. It will
be interesting to see how this new Olympus E-1 shapes up. From all the
hype, it will have to be regarded as a failure if it does not produce
images superior to the 10D, even though it is only 5 megapixels. (I
can't imagine the E-1 line will remain 5 megapixels for long.)