[filmscanners] Calibration and color profiles

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Calibration and color profiles
  • From: "Ron Reimer" <reimerron@centurytel.net>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:31:19 -0500

Hi Andreas,

I appreciate your tip to Rob on the littlecms. This may be just what I'm
looking for as well. My monitor appears to be well calibrated, but my
problem is to get my scans and prints to look right. When I scan slides and
negatives, especially negatives, on my Polaroid SS4000 using Polarcolor
Insight 5.1, none of the film profiles give me results that look anything
like the original subject or a photo print of the negative. I've gone to
just doing raw scans and trying to reconstruct the original colors and
contrast using Photoshop7, but the results are not great and when I send the
files  to my pro lab for printing, they come back looking terrible.  The
"Photodisc" target they sent me on CD looks pretty good on my monitor
compared to the print they sent me for calibration. But it seems that the
more I work on the image in PS, the worse it looks when printed. Maybe a 17"
monitor isn't big enough?

I've also tried applying a printer profile I downloaded from Drycreek Photo
for Fuji Crystal Archive Paper and Fuji Frontier 370 Printer that a local
non pro lab uses, but I'm not getting great results printing my digital
files there either. Nor am I on my HP Photosmart 7150 Inkjet Printer at
home.

I've gone to shooting all digital now with the Fuji S2 Pro camera and this
will probably complexify things even more. I suppose I have to apply a
profile to uploaded image files to minimize the amount of tweaking I have to
do in Photoshop.

As you probably have figured out by now, I don't have a firm grasp yet of
color theory and the littlecms software may be a little beyond my ability to
use. It seems to be for programers, and I know almost nothing about
programing. So if you could elaborate a little on what this software could
do for someone not well versed in programming, I'd appreciate it.