[filmscanners] Re: Noise in Polaroid SS 4000 scans

Harry has sent me a full res sample to analyze, and the problem is
definitely grain.

As mentioned before, with negatives, scanner CCD noise appears mainly in
the darkest areas of the neg or the lightest areas of the positive
inverted image.  The "defect" on his image is throughout the image, but
more visible in the middle and lighter areas on the neg.  However, even
assuming there was something very wrong with the scanner either
physically or electronically, there is another clincher.

Noise is totally random from pixel to pixel, that's why its called
"noise" in that it does not relate to the image itself in any manner
other than that we know CCDs tend to show it more as they are "gasping
for information" (in darker areas).

However, when zooming in on Harry's sample, it is very obvious that
these "artifacts" are of numerous variable pixels in size in all
directions, and all involve groups of pixels, and each pixel tends to
slightly change in density going toward a more defined "edge".  This is
exactly what grain appears as.  Since the scanner uses three lines of
CCD sensors, one pixel in height, each line would have little to no
relationship to the next in terms noise distribution.  Instead, every
artifact I can see in the scan has "buddy pixels doing the same basic
thing to either side, above, below and diagonally, in "clump".

Verdict: GRAIN

Now, I am not saying there isn't some grain aliasing taking place, as
sampling errors creep in with all scanners, less so with higher res
ones, obviously.  But that's math at work, and nothing can be done about
it.

So, not noise, but grain.

My recommendation: either poorly exposed, poorly processed or poorly
manufactured film, or a film type inappropriate for scanning.

Try exposing a bit more, a different processor, and if that doesn't
help, a different film type.

Art