[filmscanners] RE: Epson 2450 Film Flatness

Hullo!

You need the awesome MagCarrier! Actually, there is no such product, so
you have to make one. Rush out to your local home supply store and buy a
package of the magnetic register covers used to block returns on home
heating systems (~$8 US). Sandwich two of them carefully together, and
cut them to the same length as the OEM Epson carrier (not critical,
close will do). Now use the OEM carrier to carefully trace the notch at
the top end. Making SURE that the two sheets are magnetically aligned
(stick together real good <g>), cut out this notch with a sharp matte
knife. Exact size is not critical, but the notch is REQUIRED for
calibration. Now, using the OEM carrier for rough positioning, make a
template for the openings you will need. (I did this in Photoshop and
printed it.) Make sure you leave plenty of room around your openings, so
that there will be enough magnetic surface to stick things down well.
Cut VERY carefully with your matte knife. Done!

Les