[filmscanners] slow Photoshop Elements

I just bought my first scanner, an Epson 3200, and today I installed
all the bundled software on my Mac.  Adobe Photoshop Elements seems
incredibly slow, and I was wondering if it is hopeless to try to use
it on a PowerMac 9500/150.

It launches in about a minute, but then it takes a full six minutes
to draw the opening screen. If for any reason I switch to the Finder,
it then takes another 6 minutes to re-draw the same screen when I
switch back to Photoshop Elements, meanwhile locking me out of my
computer. This is before anything is scanned. I increased the memory
partition, but there was no noticeable improvement.

Is this the kind of performance that is to be expected on a PowerMac
9500/150, 304 MB RAM,  running Mac OS 9.1 with an AppleVision 1710 AV
monitor?

-Maaki