[filmscanners] Re: Nikon's GEM vs. ASF

Jeff, just ran a quick shootouts between the GEM of NikonScan and the
downloaded ASF plug-in version (current one).
The conclution is preliminary. I did the test on two different portrait
scans at max resolution available form my scanner (2900 dpi) as TIFF
files. Of course, the conclusion I draw are highlyu subjective, but
that what I see by my eyes:
1. The plug-in's processing is approaching similar smoothness of the
image as achieved by GEM on 4 setting (maximum), though still is
slightly less effecttive them GEM of NikonScan. I would rate it
somewhere between setting 3 and 4 of GEM (the grain (or perhaps a touch
of digital noise ??)) is still very slightly discernable visually on
the screen inspecting the images at 100% side by side (GEM's and
processed by the plug-in).
So heer I give edge to GEM incorporated i NikonScan.

2. Sharpness impact: I was suprized again to reveal that that even
though GEM of NkonScan is slightly more effective (on setting 4) then
the plug-in on defualt setting, checking very carefully, I noticed
plug-in lost sharpness very slightly more, though the difference is
quite hard to notice.
Again, edge to NikonScan's GEM.
 Well, indeed, I only applied the plug-in at it's default setting,
perhaps increasing the parameters would smooth out more, but apparently
loses sharpness notieably.

I'll do similar comparisons on files holding more detailed images (such
as landscape or architecture and will report again.

Alex