[filmscanners] RE: Re:digitising slides

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Re:digitising slides
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 05:31:24 -0500

Hello Laurie!

Yes, this is for a photographer who already owns a sturdy tripod and a high
resolution digital camera with a good lens. If you just happen to have an
old Beseler color head available, why not use it? If not, be sure you have a
good light source (diffused light, proper color temperature). You don't
stitch the images together; you take three exposures in quick succession at
different exposures of the full image (handled automatically by the D100
with the bracketing function). Then you bring them into Photoshop on three
different layers. If you wanted to you could make as many exposures as you
deem necessary to produce the range you want. That is why he included the
example of 17 exposures so you can understand how to combine as many images
as you desire. If you don't have any shadow detail or highlight detail you
are interested in, you can just use one exposure.

The purpose of this project was to capture 1000s of slides that he uses as a
slideshow for his elderly parents. His father was a prolific photographer
and he is getting to where he has trouble with the slide projector. Now the
slideshow starts automatically for them at their bedside on an Apple iMac.

His Photoshop script not only combines the three images into one (one image
looks into the shadows, one into the highlights and one for the normally
exposed parts of the image), but it applies Digital SHO, Digital ROC and
Digital GEM to further enhance the images in an automatic fashion.

I saw him scan 400 slides in several hours, load them onto his computer and
start the script. The script ran over night and late the next day he had 400
beautiful images (if you think old family photos are beautiful).

I didn't say it would be easy, just that it can be done and done very
efficiently with excellent results for the intended purpose. We're not
talking about make 20x30 prints, just something that looks good on a
computer display.

Alf Wiedersehen!

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction