[filmscanners] Re: thank you

Hi Jeffrey

I wonder what the 'well known focus problem' really was.  I have followed
the controversy on line in various forums, but I really wonder whether it
was a combination of some particular 'edge of tolerance' machines and
particular operator habits.  I have never used a 4000, so I don't know what
it was really like.  I am pretty picky about focus, but I find there is
usually something in the frame that works well enough for the 8000 autofocus
to do a good job.  I wish it updated the preview screen more quickly when
you manually focus, but I almost never manual focus my 8000.

I started out doing 6x7 and 4x5 on an Epson 1680 flatbed with a transparency
adapter, and when I compared the Nikon 8000 for 6x7, it was a noticeable
improvement over the Epson in noise and dynamic range.  I still use the 1680
for 4x5 B&W negatives, and I do no 4x5 color, so both machines are useful to
me.  If I didn't do much 6x7 I'd choose the 4000, like you, although I might
want to check out the new Minolta machines before plunking down the money.

For some reason, the folks on the filmscanner group have enjoyed a lot of
Nikon bashing.  A few private posts I got during my 'homework' period before
I purchased the 8000 convinced me that a significant number of people were
pleased with the results they were getting with Nikon scanners.

I hope you get some other useful replies too.

ted