[filmscanners] Re: keeping the 16bit scans

You bet I would.  You see, a relative, who is an EE, owned and operated
a well respected audio and video repair stop in the metropolitan New
York/New Jersey for many years.  Not only did he repair audio gear, but
he redesigned circuits for some of this clients.  His clients included
sound engineers, recording studios and television network stations, and
musicians, who would bring in their cadillac equipment, and they would
discuss the intricacies of sound generation, recording gear, and the like.

After CDs became entrenched, many were torn up over the limited sampling
rate of CD recordings, claiming analogue would remain king, because it
was so "warm" and full of "harmonics" and "full" of natural depth, etc.
etc.  They told me of the problems with cut off filters, and inherent
design flaws of digitally recorded music.

Of course, they use digital recording in their studios today, and most
have come to realize that the warmth they were used to in vinyl was
nothing more than surface noise, acoustic defects of turntable and
stylus technology, and that once their heads were cleared of those
recollections from their childhoods, indeed the digital recordings were
much purer and cleaner, and if they really wanted that "warmth" and
"harmonics" back, all they needed to do was to add some surface noise
from a blank test vinyl record into the mix, and they'd have the best of
both worlds, digital clarity with the "warmth" of vinyl.

Interestingly, I don't recall many of these people running out to buy
"monster cables", although they sold pretty well to some subset of
audiophiles whom, I suppose, thought it would... impress the ladies?

Art