[filmscanners] Re: keeping the 16bit scans (bad RAID experience)

Hi!

I just want to mention that we had quite a few problems with raid at my work.
We have lost a significant amount of files due to corruption of files on both
mirrored RAID-servers we had. Fortunately we did have backup on tape media
too.

A cheaper option may be to have a couple IDE disks in removable mounting
frames, I use DK-3 from Computer Cable. My idea is that I have two disks let
say A and B, and I just exchange them time to time.

Being a lazy Linux using amateur I'm not really putting a lot of effort in the
backup.

1) I have all files I'm working with on a central server running all the time.
The server itself is minimal, and totally silent (a 400-500 USD box).

2) I have two disks, one sitting in the computer, and one in a drawer (should
of course be in a firesafe vault at another location :-)

3) I have a crontab entry on my computer which is run around 20:00 each
evening. Doing the following:
- mount the disk (so that the operating system can access it)
- update all files using rsync (http://rsync.samba.org) see also:
http://everythingsolaris.org/articles/atour/index.html
- unmount the disk
- set spindown time to 5 minutes (so it is not spinning)

4) I exchange the disks now and than.

This is in no way fool prof, of course. If any of the files is corrupted it
still would be migrated to the other hard disk. This kind of problem could be
handled by calculating and checking checksums, but that kind of handling
needs a bit more work.

Notes:

1) The server is not really needed for the backup, i need it for other
reasons, but it is nice to have files and backup on different hardware.

2) Most Linux stuff is available using Cygwin on Windows.

3) Mac OS X users: http://www.bombich.com/mactips/rsync.html

Best regards

Erik

--
Erik Kaffehr                erik.kaffehr@swipnet.se alt. ekr@ksu.se
Mariebergsvägen 53          +46 155 219338 (home)