[filmscanners] RE: keeping the 16bit scans

> From: Frank Paris
>
> I agree with this. I've never seen a CD go bad, but you've got to expect
> that hard disks will go bad in a couple years on average, if you keep
> them spinning 24/7 like I do. If you shut your machine down when you're
> not using it, they should last five years, even the new ones that are
> only guaranteed for a year. They are, however, so cheap now that I'd
> rather reduce the probability of electrical spikes trashing my
> electronics by switching it on and off several times a day (that can
> also wipe out all your disks, as my son found out) and keep my disks
> spinning all the time. Since I mirror, if one goes bad, I just replace
> it and I haven't lost any data.

I find that hard disks can go bad, and so can CDs. However, you don't know a
CD is bad until you try to read it and it fails. But with HDs, all the
failures I've seen have warned by making funny noises first. So what I do is
keep two big disks in two machines, and run frequent backups across the
network.

As to average lifetime, HDs usually last until I want to replace them with
something 2x bigger anyway.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco