[filmscanners] RE: IT8 calibration queries

Al writes ...

> (c) Most IT8 targets are for Ektachrome but I notice that
> Coloraid also do Fuji targets.  How much practical difference
> does it make getting the closest target to the film stock you
> shoot?  (I normally use Fuji Sensia.)

  Any accurate IT8 (and its reference file), should do only 2 things (1)
calibarate your scanner's interpretation of color, and (2) provide a
realistic measure of its gamut.  It can be argued neither of these are film
dependent, and are only scanner dependent.  That is to say, once your
scanner is calibrated, all that remains is (a) accurate mask removal (if
needed), and (b) correction for film characteristics.  Vuescan is equiped
with all this power, and what is only up to debate is (A) how accurate is
your IT8 represented by the reference file (IT8's are copies and age is a
factor), and (B) how accurate are Vuescan's corrections for film
characteristics.

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com (in progress)