From: "Lotus M50" <lotusm50@sprynet.com>
To: <simon@sclamb.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 12:03 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Canon CS-9900F scanner?

Listied in B&H Photo's inch thick, "Digital Photography Sourcebook"
(which I've had now for a few months) is the Canon CS-9900F flatbed
scanner.  It is listed along with the CS-500F and CS-8000F.  I have
heard about and seen the CS-8000F but not hte CS-9900F.  Does this
scanner exist, or is it just vaporware?  It has a very appealing spec:
 3200x6400 optical resolution, USB 2.0 and Firewire, "FARE" automatic
film retouching and enhancement, and 3-second preview feature, and can
scan transparencies up to 4x5" (no D-max spec quoted).  Sounds like it
would be a good competitor to the Epson Photo 3200.  The main problem
withthe CS-8000F is that it will only scan 35mm film, nothing larger
(and is "only" 2400x4800).   Does anyone know what happened to the
CS-9900F scanner? (I can't find anything on the web about it)  Will it
ever be released?  Thanks.