[filmscanners] Re: JPEG2000/PNG on PS7.0 and PSP8.0

Brilliant!  Thanks very much Robert, that answers my question very well.  I
remember now that my low compression example was indeed with a 16-bit
file.  I use both, but hadn't cottoned on to the fact that compression
varies with bits per pixel / no of bitplanes.

Cheers,

Julian

At 09:28 01/03/03, you wrote:
>One other possibility is that he works with 16-bit TIFFs and you with 8-bit
>TIFFs. If you go beyond 8 bits the compression ratio falls pretty fast. As a
>matter of fact, jpeg2000 even allows to bypass parts of the algorithm after
>5 bitplanes because compression is not very significant anymore (because
>there isn't much correlation anymore). Therefore, for images with many
>bitplanes it makes sense to use a bigger compression ratio as not that much
>is lost.
>
>Robert

Julian
Canberra, Australia

Satellite maps of fire situation Canberra and Snowy Montains
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~julian/cbfires/fires.htm